If you run a manufacturing company, or a factory, you need a manufacturers insurance policy tailored to the individual requirements of your business.
What Is Manufacturing Insurance?
The types of insurance you might need include:
- Buildings Insurance
- Business Interruption Insurance
- Public Liability Insurance
- Employers Liability Insurance
- Products Liability Insurance
- Property Insurance
- Stock Insurance
- Machinery Insurance (for own and hired-in plant)
- Money Insurance
- All Risks Insurance for laptops and other portable equipment away from the premises
- Goods In Transit Insurance
- Personal Accident Insurance
- Engineering Insurance
- Motor Fleet Insurance
- Commercial Legal Expenses Insurance
- Directors and Officers Insurance
Some types of insurance, such as employers liability and machinery inspection cover, are a legal requirement.
Other types of insurance are not legally required but may be essential to protect your business. A professional business insurance broker will be able to advise you accordingly and help you decide what you need.
Insurance For Imports and Exports
If you import products or materials directly or export goods abroad, this should be declared to your insurance company. Insurers may request a split in the turnover between UK, Europe, USA and Canada and the rest of the world and may require information about your quality assurance procedures.
Commercial Combined Insurance
Some insurance companies offer a general commercial combined policy for manufacturing insurance, others provide bespoke products aimed at particular trades, such as the following:
- Additive Manufacturing Insurance (3D Printing – plastic and metal)
- Conveyor Manufacturing Insurance
- Electronics Manufacturing Insurance (including electronics components manufacturers Insurance)
- Engineering Insurance (Light engineering and heavy engineering) (including mechanical engineering, pneumatic / hydraulic engineering & electrical engineering)
- Hi Tech Sector Insurance (including biotechnology, medical technology, digital manufacturing & pharmaceutical manufacturing)
- Machinery Manufacturing Insurance (including agricultural machinery, processing equipment, conveyors,)
- Manufacture and Installation of double glazing windows
- Metal Profilers Insurance (including laser cutters and laser cutting)
- Metal Workers Insurance (including sheet metalworking & steel fabricators)
- Plastics Manufacturing Insurance (including plastic sign manufacturers, plastic injection moulders, plastic goods manufacturers & plastic goods finishers)
- Precision Engineering Insurance (including CNC machining, turning, milling , spark erosion & fabrication)
- Printers Insurance (including screen printing, textile printing, computer based printing, 3D printing & label printing & T-Shirt printing)
- Process Manufacturing Insurance (including food and drink, paints, chemicals, & textiles)
- Steel Fabrication Insurance (including manufacture of structural steels, portal framed building sections, gates, railings , staircases etc.)
- Tool Makers Insurance (including electric tools manufacturing, power tools manufacturers)
- Woodworking Insurance (including joinery manufacturers, furniture manufacturers, cabinet makers & timber building manufacturers)
It is important to make sure that you have the cover you need at a reasonable premium.
How To Get Manufacturers Insurance
The best way to do this is to speak to a local independent business insurance broker who can learn about your business and the issues you need to deal with and advise you as to the types of cover you need.
Look for an insurance broker that specialises in commercial insurance and offers a personal service. They will usually get you several manufacturers insurance quotes from different insurance companies and then recommend the product that best fits your requirements. This may not necessarily be the cheapest.
Get a Manufacturing Insurance Quote
Here at Breathe we have many years of experience in arranging manufacturers insurance for clients in the UK. We offer free advice and will search the market on your behalf to get you the most competitive quote.
If you would like more information or a manufacturers insurance quote from an independent Kent based insurance broker please call us on 01622 620531, Email us or fill in the short form below.