Insurance is an essential requirement if you run a small business. There is a wide range of small business insurance policies available from many different insurance companies. Most of these policies are package products, with some sections of cover automatically included and other optional sections that you can add if needed.
Small business can include a wide variety of businesses, including shops, cafes and takeaways, offices, hairdressers, beauty salons and surgeries - the types of independent businesses you might find along the high streets of Chatham, Maidstone or Rochester in Kent.
Trying to work out exactly what insurance cover you need can be tricky.
- Do you know what types of business insurance you need to include?
- Do you have the right sums insured and limits?
- Are you aware of all your legal obligations?
No two businesses are exactly the same so it’s important to consider the risks your particular business faces to make sure you have the proper cover.
You can buy small business insurance online, but it’ll then be up to you check that the cover is adequate and you’ll be on your own in the event of a claim.
It’s usually best to speak to an independent business insurance broker who understands your business and the issues you need to deal with and can help you compare different small business insurance policies and advise you on the best options. You can often get free advice and a no obligation quote.
Look for a local insurance broker that specialises in commercial insurance and will be available, at the end of the phone, if you need help with anything during the year or if you need to make a claim.
The types of insurance cover you might find in a small business insurance policy include:
- Buildings and contents insurance against such events as fire, theft, flood and accidental or malicious damage
- Public Liability Insurance
- Products Liability Insurance
- Employers Liability Insurance
- Laptop Insurance
- Goods In Transit Insurance
- Computer breakdown Insurance
- Money Insurance
- Business Interruption (Loss of income) Insurance
- Personal Accident Insurance
- Legal Expenses Insurance