What should you do if your business premises has been damaged in the recent storms or if water has leaked through the roof of your property during a rainstorm and damaged the interior?
If you have the right property insurance and if the roof is watertight during normal levels of rainfall, you should be covered under the property damage section of your commercial combined, shop or restaurant insurance policy or similar.
Buildings insurance covers you for damage to walls, ceilings, roof and fixtures and fittings etc. and contents insurance covers your stock and equipment. Damage to plate glass might be covered even if you don’t insure the buildings.
6 tips to help you make a successful insurance claim
Here are six tips to help you make a successful insurance claim for storm damage:
- Your insurer should have a 24-hour emergency claims line so phone them first, if possible, or speak to your insurance broker if it’s during office hours.
- If you need to make temporary emergency repairs to prevent further damage, and it’s safe to do so, don’t wait. Contact a builder, roofer or glazier and keep receipts.
- Make sure all guttering and drains are clear so that water can drain away easily
- Take photos of the damage & note how many rooms are affected
- Keep any damaged items. You may need them as evidence.
- Get a professional opinion as to the cause of the damage & an estimate for permanent repairs and send to your insurance company for approval
Paying the excess
You will have to make a small contribution towards the cost of repairs, known as the excess. This amount varies but is usually between £250 and £500.
An insurance broker can help you with your insurance claim
If you use a commercial insurance broker to arrange your business insurance, they will help guide you through the claims process. You will also have someone on your side to help fight your corner in the event of any problems with the claim.
We can help you with insurance for your business
If you are a business owner and have any questions about how to make a claim for storm damage or would like to receive an insurance quote from an independent commercial insurance broker based in Kent, please call us on 01622 620531 or send us an email.
Photo originally by: h.koppdelaney